Welcome to Texas Work Injury Law Blog
This website is maintained by the Law Offices of Dean Malone, P.C., a Dallas, Texas law firm representing people across Texas for work injury cases. We have attempted to provide useful information for those harmed by work injuries.
2 Dallas Workers in a Highway Construction Zone are Injured by an Alleged Drunk DriverThursday, February 16th, 2017
Two highway construction workers were injured on February 8, 2017, when the driver of a Nissan Pathfinder crashed into them at a construction site on Interstate 35 in Dallas, Texas. The driver has been charged with intoxication assault, and the workers were transported to a nearby hospital. No details regarding their conditions have been released.
Government agencies such as the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) have a responsibility to keep workers safe, just as other employers do. The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) provides guidelines for keeping construction zone workers safe. The following key elements of worker safety are provided by OSHA:
- In order to minimize the vulnerability of construction zone workers, they should be trained on procedures for safely working near motor vehicle traffic.
- Temporary traffic barriers should be placed along any areas where construction workers are working.
- Steps should be taken to reduce the speed of traffic in the construction zone.
- Activity in the internal construction zone area should be carefully planned to reduce exposure to risk by minimizing maneuvers in which construction vehicles are required to back up.
- The employer should designate a competent person to conduct a hazard assessment for the work site and determine which job classifications are needed in the activity area.
OSHA goes into specific details about matters affecting worker safety. For instance, the distance between construction zone signs should vary, depending on the situation. Advance warning signs are longer on expressways and freeways, since motorists are more accustomed to uninterrupted traffic flow. Because speed is the cause of the most accidents in road construction work zones, warnings and signs to slow motorists down are essential.