Welcome to Texas Work Injury Law Blog
This website is maintained by the Law Offices of Dean Malone, P.C., a Dallas, Texas law firm representing people across Texas for work injury cases. We have attempted to provide useful information for those harmed by work injuries.
A Contractor Worker Dies at a Brewery in Shiner, TexasWednesday, June 7th, 2017
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017, in Shiner, Texas, Daniel Innocenti died while working as a contractor at Spoetzl Brewery. The details leading to 50-year-old Innocenti’s death are unclear. Shiner Police Chief Ronald Leck said the man had been at the rear of the brewery working with a power drill shortly before he was discovered not breathing, lying on the floor. Leck said Innocenti had worked there for years. An autopsy will be conducted, since no one witnessed the fatality.
There are many potential dangers in workplaces. Although there is no information regarding what may have occurred in this case, one potential consideration will probably be an electrical issue. Working with a power drill could potentially expose someone to an electrical accident.
The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) always conducts investigations following a workplace fatality. Any companies involved in a workplace death are investigated, as signs of workplace dangers are identified. OSHA also provides safety guidelines that apply to all workplaces, and employers have a responsibility to provide a safe work environment to all workers.
There are many fatal electrical accidents every year. OSHA provides safety guidelines, such as the following:
- Never operate equipment powered by electricity while standing in water.
- Always use caution when working near electricity.
- Never repair electrical equipment or electrical cords unless you are authorized and qualified.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead wires during work activities, including during cleanup.
- When working in damp locations, inspect electric equipment and electrical cords before use, to ensure that they are free of defects.